Legends of Cracow

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][cq_vc_tabs tabsstyle=”style2″ tabstitle=”Wawel’s dragon,Towers of Saint Mary’s church,Bugle call,Bishop Stansilaus,Jewish wedding” iconsupport=”no” rotatetabs=”0″ titlebg=”#ffedc2″ titlehoverbg=”#ffb300″ titlecolor=”#f38e24″ contentbg2=”#fff2dd”][tabitem]

Krakow has many symbols, one of them is dragon. Legenda is talking that during the reign of the legendary king Krak in the cave on the Wawel hill started live dragon. He had terrorized the inhabitants of the town. They had to deliver the monster sacrifice of cattle, and sometimes when he didn’t have enough animals he devoured people. None of the brave knights could not beat him. In town lived shoemaker Dratewka, who was very ingenious. He stuffed a lamb with sulfur and put before the dragon’s lair. The monster fell into the trap set by Dratewka and devoured the lamb. He felt great pain and burning in the throat. To quench his thirst, he started to drink water from Vistula river as long as the burst. The bulkheads there was tremendous joy and heroic Dratewka cobbler was well rewarded. The defeat of the dragon reminds sculpture designed by Bronisław Chromy, standing on the bank of the Vistula river at the foot of Wawel Hill

[/tabitem] [tabitem]

Mary’s Church (Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary – its official name) is the Krakow’s main church and a symbol of town. This magnificent building is located in the north – east corner of the main square, which was founded in 1257 year. The facade of the church is located either obliquely to the straight line which shows us that the first Romanesque temple was built here before establishment of the square. In half of the fourteenth century basilica was reconstructed in the Gothic style. The second temple was built by the bronze bricks and decorated with white stones. The town’s main church has a rich and interesting history, which can be found in the city’s books and travel guides. But tourists not only interested in the history of … It is known as the church are related to different legends.

Wieże kościoła Mariackiego

One legend is connected with towers of the Basilica of St. Mary which are uneven in height. From higher – Hejnalica is played a bugle call, special melody called hejnal every full hour, 24 times per day the lower the hanging church bell called Półzygmuntem. Legend is talking that 2 brothers get task to build two towers. When the elder of them finished building his tower he went to the other place to made something else. When he came back he realized that the brother’s tower would be higher. He get angry very much and jealousy covered his eyes. He took knife and with envy murdered brother. When he realized what he had done he couldn’t forgive it himself. Remorse did not give peace a murderer so threw himself from the top of the tower. The town councilors decided no to finish building towers.

Nóż
[/tabitem] [tabitem]

Centuries ago, the guardian of the city, every morning and every evening with the bugle call gave the signal to open and shut the gates of the city walls, and warned people of the city that town is in danger. Many years ago when enemy wanted to attack town and approached to town watchful guard on the tower of St Mary’s bugle saw the enemy. The time warned residents who managed to close the city gates, but when he finished playing, his throat reached enemy’s arrow. To commemorate this event melody has always breaks in the place where the brave guard suddenly it ended many centuries ago. Mary’s bugle call played every hour. From 1927 every day at noon the Polish Radio transmits a bugle call from the tower.

Kościół św. Stanisława
[/tabitem] [tabitem]

On the bank of the Vistula River not far away from Wawel there is a small limestone hill which is usually called the Rock. On it was built monastery of St. Paulina with the church St . Michael the Archangel and St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr
In the second part of eleventh century on this place has already been built Romanesque church. At this time ruled the King Bolesław the Brave, who murdered Bishop Stanislaus in 1079 year. According to tradition, the immediate cause of the conflict between the bishop and the king was Stanislaw’s unsuccessfully demanding from Bolesław proper behaviour. King was imperious despot, whose feudal lords did not want to endure. When the bishop began to defended king, then king denounced bishop Stanislaw traitor and killed him. After killing the king had to hand over power and went out to another country. The body of bishops according to legend, was thrown to the Vistula river, but then buried in the Church on the Rock
Ten years after the remains of martyrs transferred to cathedral on Wawel Hill.
Most importantly, according to legend, the body of bishops divided into parts merged into one. In 1253 year Bishop Stanislaus was canonized and since then, he has been the patron of Polish. In memory of this event each year on the day of St. Stanislaus (May 8) there is a procession with the relics of the saint of the Wawel Cathedral to the Church of St. Archangel Michael and St. Stanislaus Church on the Rock.
The present building of the monastery was built in the 1751 year. The works were done by architect Antoni Müntzer and Anthon Solari. The underground church is the National Pantheon, where burned celebrities such artists Stanislaw Wyspianski, Jacek Malczewski Henryk Semiradzki and poets Theophilus Lenartovicz and Adam Asnyk, writer Józef Ignacy Kraszewski and famous chronicler Jan Dlugosz.

Kościół św. Stanisława
[/tabitem] [tabitem]

One of the most visited places in the Krakow is district Kazimierz, which is called the Broad street. From middle age to World War II Jews lived here and were praying in the synagogues, which were on the street. In the middle of this street in front of the synagogue Remuh is a green meadow. According to the legend on this place had taken a Jewish wedding. Deadline for the wedding was set for Friday before sundown, because this time start the holy day – the Sabbath (Shabbat in itself, do not arrange a wedding or a wedding, because this day is fully dedicated to God). Dances and plays lengthened to late evening, when the Sabbath, started and Jews were praying in the synagogue Remuh. Not even drew attention to the admonition of Rabbi Moses Isserles that violate the commandment to “celebrate the holy day.” They were severely punished for it – all died that same evening. They buried them in a mass grave and bricked up. So far, you can supposedly hear their moans and whispers.

Żydowskie Wesele
[/tabitem][/cq_vc_tabs][/vc_column][/vc_row]

O mnie

Nazywam się
Katarzyna Antos

Oferuję usługi przewodnika miejskiego po Krakowie oraz pilota wycieczek - zapraszam do zwiedzania Małopolski.

Wykonuję tłumaczenia nieprzysięgłe pisemne i ustne z języka chorwackiego na polski i z języka polskiego na chorwacki.

Kontakt

+48 692 252 179
kasia.antos@gmail.com

Bądź na bieżąco

Napisz do mnie jeśli masz pytania bądź chcesz otrzymać informacje z moją aktualną ofertą.

logo_2